Question For Hogster Users

454shooter

Finally received my Hogster 35 and mounted it on my Ruger 556/223 Ranch rifle. I have it mounted back as far as possible but the eye relief is no where near close. I have to scrunch way up to contact the eye piece.
Do you experienced users have your eye against the rubber eye piece when shooting? I would imagine this would be ideal unless you are using a recoiling firearm in which I could see getting 'scoped'. I ordered a picatinny extension to move the sight back after research here.
I do have an AR (223) but use it in my employ as a School Police Officer and don't feel a thermal would be ideal if it would ever have to be deployed. (I have a Vortex 1x4 scope mounted currently)I also like to use reduced load reloads for fox and they will not cycle the AR.
My next question is on the clarity settings on the Hogster. These would be the 4 mountain looking images. Can't understand why you would set it on anything but the crispest image but I must be missing something as there are 4 choices.
On a previous post I asked what to do regarding only having one thermal. I took it out in the yard and scanned with the rifle. I was not happy with that at all and the Ranch Rifle is about as light as you can get. I did make an arca attached tripod setup and it would possibly be doable but would be slower and make more noise by having to move around the tripod. A scanner is in my future and I can definitely see that field of view is a big factor as most of my encounters with red lights were within 100 yards. The thermal likely will change that as I'm sure I have missed a lot of detection with the red lights.
I purchased a battery pack selfie stick and mounted a small picatinny to it. There is enough cable that I can scan with it and hopefully when something is spotted I can quick release the thermal and mount to the rifle on the tripod as the selfie stick hangs around my neck and still provides power to the thermal.
Time will tell on that and I expect it to work better with fox than coyote. No doubt 2 thermals are the key.

Originally Posted By: 454shooterDo you experienced users have your eye against the rubber eye piece when shooting?Yes, my face does touch the rubber eye cup. You might be able to be back a little from the eye cup, but too far and you won't see much of the screen.

Originally Posted By: 454shooterI ordered a picatinny extension to move the sight back after research here. On most bolt guns, you will need have a rail that at the minimum extends all the way to the back of the bolt action receiver.

Originally Posted By: 454shooterMy next question is on the clarity settings on the Hogster. These would be the 4 mountain looking images. Can't understand why you would set it on anything but the crispest image but I must be missing something as there are 4 choices. This is the contrast adjustment. This is a setting (just like Ultra Clear) that is available to provide you options based on weather conditions. Humidity, fog and other weather makes a difference on what works best. If it is too high and the weather is good, the image can become a little oversaturated. I usually have the contrast set on the 3rd level and adjust Ultra-Clear if really, really humid.

Originally Posted By: 454shooterOn a previous post I asked what to do regarding only having one thermal. I took it out in the yard and scanned with the rifle. I was not happy with that at all and the Ranch Rifle is about as light as you can get. I did make an arca attached tripod setup and it would possibly be doable but would be slower and make more noise by having to move around the tripod. If you are scanning with the gun, a tripod is almost for sure necessary. Even if you don't use it as a scanner, I believe a tripod is necessary for nighttime coyote hunting. I can't imagine trying to freehand shots at coyotes on a consistent basis. A tripod will make you a lot steadier.

Originally Posted By: 454shooterI purchased a battery pack selfie stick and mounted a small picatinny to it. There is enough cable that I can scan with it and hopefully when something is spotted I can quick release the thermal and mount to the rifle on the tripod as the selfie stick hangs around my neck and still provides power to the thermal. Practice this. Go into a room in your house or anywhere that you can block out all light so it is like it is dark, or just practice outside at night. Have someone time you. Try to go from mounted on your selfie stick to mounted on your gun. How long did it take you, how much movement was there, and did you get on the right rail slot? I have heard of people doing this. If you are hunting over a bait pile, I can see it or even stalking hogs. However to do this on a coyote stand while you are actively calling coyotes, it would be my last choice. If you do happen to get it mounted quickly, coyotes see by movement even at night. Is their eyesight somewhat diminished, yes, but if you are moving a lot going from stick to tripod, this is not ideal. Now imagine doing this with a few coyotes coming in fast, your adrenaline pumping, and most likely with gloves on. Sounds like a scanner is in your future. A thermal scanner is truly a game changer.

Originally Posted By: parsonIf the eye needs to be against it how does it work if you were glasses? You can put your glasses against the rubber if you want, or back up just a little. Another option is if the cup gets in the way, take it off. If you get too far back, your view will eventually start to be obstructed. I put a different eye cup on mine because I don't like the long snorkel style eyecup. The Hogsters have a 40mm eye relief, so you don't have to be jammed up against it if you don't want to be. There are lots of people who wear glasses who run Hogsters. I was answering for myself, and "I" put my eye against the cup.

My eye is touching the rubber eyepiece when I'm on the gun.

So i have a little different answer than some but if I only had one thermal, I would use it to scan and shoot with a red light. I know your anxious to actually shoot with the scope but I can assure you that you will find removing and replacing is not efficient nor is constantly scanning with your rifle. Not want you want to hear but after some time using it that way will make you change!! Tripods are a must IMO also.

FWIW the qd Bobro mount I have is excellent and was actually worth the price to me. True return to zero if used on mil spec rail.

If I had to buy a scanner and wanted to keep the cost down I would get the Hogster R25. I have a Pulsar Trail XP 50 LRF that I primarily hunt with and the R35 for backup or use with one of my son's or a friend. Scan with a Helion XP 28 (have a 38 lens also) and an older Pulsar XD19A. As good as the Hogster is the 25 would be a good choice and would give you another scope just in case. FOV isn't were I'd like it to be but it's decent. FOV with the 19A is 26.8 x 20.8 and the XP28 is 22 x 16.6. The R25 is about 15 degrees I think. Seem to see a lot of other less expensive scanners for sale in other places. My guess is they are looking for something better IMO.

Had similar problem with my Remington 788 bolt. I had to extend rail wayyyyy back to mount my Thermion on it. Couldn’t find one made in the USA. I bought a cheap air soft mount just because I couldn’t find a rail extension long enough. So far it has worked for me and I still have to creep up on the stock a little. That’s why I have it on my ar now.

Mounted the hogster with an extension. Man it sure has to be way back to get a good feel. I also added some sponge and tape to make a cheek weld. Sure hope it will hold zero but I do have concerns.

Also added a ball head to the tripod I have for my bosch laser level. Not sure how good it will work in the field either.
50931329867_1814dbc79e_w.jpg

50931328547_4286957d7c_w.jpg

Last edited:

Man, that is mounted way back for sure. Would be nice for scope companies to work on that issue. I wear eyeglasses and as such eye relief is very important.

That looks way to far back, there is no room for your head on the stock unless you have very short arms. Just doesn’t look comfortable.Seems to me should be by the grip, not halfway down the stock.

I agree that it looks odd but my cheek is on the stock and eye is on the eye piece.
I'll have to play with it more but where it's at seems the most comfortable

I do wonder with that much empty space and no support back there if anything would hold zero. I have seen some extensions, but this one is really way back. Let us know how it goes.

I would shoot it, bang it around then check poi. I had mine mounted in the last notch of the rail and poi moved up to 4”! All was good after moving it ahead. Cut the stock.

...what was the original optic mounted on? that original 2-piece base?position for correct eye relief of scope?

What is on the rail in front of Thermal mount?

Did you look at getting a 1 piece BASE mount? There are some out there that have up to a 1/2 to 1" offset..that are often just enough to get shorter thermals in a good position.

Looks like the QD thermal base has a longer clamp where you can overhang back off rail base about 2 or 3 slot positions off center of base clamp...and still get it very secure..

Last edited:
Back